What do our teachers say?
And here we have an former teacher, Stephen Bolitin from the US, who popped into to say hi. He compares teaching here with other schools in the US.
Where are we?
Right next to Jiangcizui MRT station exit 3.
Right next to Nanjing Sanming MRT station exit 2.
Our core values
We Foster Education
We are all constantly learning. The staff, the students, and the teachers. We encourage this by raising our expectations of ourselves and each other. To this end we regularly assess how well we are doing both in and out of the classroom.
We Pursue Excellence
Our school has developed a clear statement of teaching standards that teachers are expected to quickly meet and strive to exceed. We believe in constant training and improvement, and we do this through a peer-observation system and monthly workshops or training sessions.
We Practice Honesty
No one is perfect. But we try to be utterly honest and transparent with our dealings with all staff and students. We don’t hide information. Everything is in plain sight – from the teaching schedules to the testing room.
It also means if you suck at teaching, we will tell you directly. (But in a nice way of course!)
We Create Fun
We know people learn best when they are enjoying themselves. So, we like to have fun in and out of the classroom, whether it is celebrating student successes or dressing up for halloween.
CELTA qualified with at least 1 year of adult teaching experience.*
* If you are a fresh teacher, but you totally rocked the CELTA with an A, we’d still love to talk to you!
What We’re Looking For
At least 1 year teaching adults in a variety of lessons in a classroom setting. We also take promising teachers who have just completed their CELTA.
You should have good command of core classroom skills, and be comfortable teaching language at mid-levels.
In addition to the above, you should have excellent time-management skills, and be able to demonstrate how you have improved as an English language teacher.
Ideally, you should be familiar with Cambridge ESOL Exams or the IELTS exam, have taught starter to High Intermediate, and have taught integrated language skills.
Senior English Teacher
DELTA qualified or Dip TESOL with at least 4 years of adult teaching experience.
What We’re Looking For
At least 4 years of teaching experience. (At least 1 post certificate.) You should have taught General 4-skill English Classes from starter to advanced.
You should have excellent classroom skills, and have demonstrated higher skill development.
In addition to the above, you should have excellent time-management skills, and be constantly seeking improvement in your own teaching.
You should have been responsible for training teachers and determining whether they meet school standards. Finally, you should have worked in a “Western” style language school.
Teacher Start Rates
Depending on your current mix of experience and teaching qualifications, you will typically start at one of the following rates.
DELTA / Trinity Dip with four+ years of relevant teaching experience
NT$650 ~ NT$675
CELTA / Trinity Cert and least 1 year highly-relevant post-qualification adult teaching experience in an integrated skills classroom context. AND this is evident in the pre-interview tasks, the interview, and in the teaching task.
NT$600 ～ NT$650
You may have a CELTA / Trinity Cert with no or very little (or unrelated) teaching experience
You may have some relevant teaching experience with some other English teaching qualification
If you find you don’t fit these descriptions, we may have something suitable but we would have talk to you in person.
Notes and explanations:
1. Teaching experience:
- Relevant teaching experience typically means adult teaching experience in an integrated skills classroom context. It can also refer to some kinds of “corporate” training.
- Mixed teaching experience typically means a combination of some unrelated experience, corporate, and relevant teaching experience
- Un-related teaching experience refers to: Conversation only classes (e.g. “free-talk”, “discussion” classes), 1on1 classes, Online tutoring, Kindergarten, and Elementary children, Traditional university “lecture-style” teaching, Buxiban-style “test-prep” classes
- Other teaching qualifications include: a University extension certificate, Graduate Diplomas, online course, other TEFL courses, ES(O)L Licenture
2. All potential teachers will be asked to do our pre-interview teaching task to get a sense of your teaching knowledge. This will also influence your potential rate.